Mr. Rebates

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Click to download FIR

Jan 31, 2011

NEW DELHI: All FIRs registered in Delhi will be uploaded on Delhi Police's website from Tuesday. People can download new FIRs from the Delhi Police website -- while an accused can get a copy from the police station by paying Rs 25.

"We are all set to upload the FIRs on the website. All police stations have been equipped to do it," a senior police official said.

The move comes following a direction by the Delhi high court on December six last year that an accused is entitled to get a copy of the FIR within 24 hours of its registration and police cannot deny supplying it.

The court had said the FIRs should be uploaded within 24 hours of its registration though it exempted the force from making public FIRs on sensitive issues.

However, whenever it does not make FIRs public, such a decision has to be taken by an officer not below the rank of deputy commissioner of police and they have to inform area magistrates.

According to the official, an accused can apply for the copy of an FIR at a charge of Rs 25 for four pages and an extra Rs ten for each extra page.

"The accused can approach the police station in person or depute another person or his lawyer to collect the FIR registered against him," Bhagat said.

The FIRs on sensitive issues like terrorism, national security, rape, molestation and kidnapping for ransom will not be uploaded, he said.

The application forms for procuring the FIRs will be available at all police stations and deputy commissioners' office, he said.

The high court had observed that fair and impartial investigation is the fundamental right of an accused and he or she need not move to court in order for getting a copy of FIR and it is the duty of the police to provide it.

An accused is entitled to get a copy of the FIR at an earlier stage than as prescribed under Section 207 of the CrPC which says that accused has to move to court and it would be supplied by order of magistrate, the high court had said.

In case if police refuse to reveal the FIR, then the person can approach the police commissioner, who will form a committee to decide such cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment