Mr. Rebates

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Daughter charged in deadly Markham home invasion

 Nov 23, 2010

Murder charges have been laid against a woman in connection with a violent home invasion on Nov. 8 in Markham, Ont., in which her mother was fatally shot.

Jennifer Pan, 24, has been charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder and two counts of conspiracy to commit murder, York Regional Police Chief Armand La Barge said in a Tuesday afternoon news conference.

Police are still looking for three other men in connection with the home invasion, in which Bich-Ha Pan, 53, was fatally shot, he told reporters. Jennifer Pan's father, Huei Hann Pan, 57, was also shot but survived the attack and is now recovering from his injuries, La Barge said.

"We are very confident that given the information that our investigators have unearthed to date, there will be further arrests made in this case," he said. He wouldn't say whether and how Jennifer Pan knew the other suspects.

Pan was arrested Monday evening and made a court appearance in Newmarket earlier Tuesday.
She has been remanded until Nov. 30, when she will make another court appearance.
Two police sources told the CBC's Dwight Drummond that they are looking for accomplices, but that the daughter is alleged to be the mastermind behind the killing.

Police released descriptions of the three suspects:
  • A black male between the ages of 20 and 25, about six feet two inches tall with a muscular build.
  • A white male aged 20 to 25, about six feet tall with a medium build.
  • A black male aged 20 to 25, about six-foot-two with a thin build.
The invasion occurred just before 10:30 p.m. ET on Nov. 8 at a home on Helen Avenue, a quiet residential street near Highway 407 and Kennedy Road, north of Toronto.

Police said after the attack that they believed three suspects entered the Pan home then shot Bich-Ha Pan and her husband several times before looking for cash and valuables. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
In the aftermath of the invasion, police said they believed it was a random attack. They also originally said the couple's daughter was separated from them and tied up in another room. She was unhurt.

Source: CBC News

No comments:

Post a Comment