Mr.Rebates

Mr. Rebates

Monday, November 8, 2010

Fed-Up Taiwanese Woman Marries Self

Nov 6, 2010

Meet Chen Wei-yih, a 30-year-old Taiwanese office worker who has been searching for love, but to no avail. Tired of being pressured by friends and family, Chen has decided to just marry herself instead.


On November 6, Chen will be marrying herself at a special ceremony estimated to cost over NT$50,000 (or $5,675). Ever since opting for this unconventional act, she has received a bevy of attention in the spotlight—not to mention thousands of letters of support from women in similar predicaments.

The problem in Taiwan is that many women are marrying later and later, if at all. This has the government and older generations worried about a possible drop in births and the associated consequences. So in turn parents are constantly pestering their daughters to get married and bear children.

Chen hopes to change this annoying behavior by doing something so revolutionary and crazy that it’ll make parents in Taiwan think twice.

“My work and experience are in good shape, but I haven’t found a partner, so what can I do?” Chen asked. “It’s not that I’m anti-marriage. I just hope that I can express a different idea within a bounds of a tradition.”
And to top it all off, Chen intends on going on a honeymoon with herself to Australia immediately after the wedding. Indeed. There’s nothing quite like honeymoon sex with oneself!

Regardless, she is hopeful that others ladies will follow suit and also marry themselves. The question remains though: Will she be eligible for spousal tax benefits? If so, then I might just marry myself, though I’m just a guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment