Mr.Rebates

Mr. Rebates

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Domestic Violence: How Other Women Are an Abused Woman's Worst Enemy

Apr 17, 2007

Why Don't They Just Shut Up and Help?

Besides the abuser himself, a woman's worst enemy can be another woman. If I heard it once, I've heard it a thousand times, women talking about abused women in a negative light. I've heard them on talk shows, in bars,
 at work, college, and from every socioeconomic level, you name it their talking about it. I am sick to death of women attacking other women. Isn't the abuser attacking, and degrading these women enough? Stupid me, I always thought women should stick together, and support each other. Well, that's not the case.

I started really noticing this going on, many years ago while watching talk shows. I happen to be a big fan of Maury, Montel, Oprah, and when Sally Jessy Raphael was on, her too. Well, I can't count over the years, how many shows were on domestic violence. The women typically would come on the show, and tell their heart felt story. They would explain detail by detail, all the hurt an humiliations they suffered. Does anybody have a clue how hard that is? Well considering how many women are abused, maybe you do. Anyway, it never failed. There was always at least several, if not more women, that would get up and say the typical National Anthem of the Unempathetic "I would never let a man do that to me". If I hear this one more time I'll scream. Not only, would they say that, they usually had a better than thou look on there faces, that makes Paris Hilton look like nothing. What does it take to get through to these women? First of all, their WRONG! It can happen to any woman. Remember, NO one sees the first time coming. Okay, so maybe a psychic would be off the hook. Other than that, good luck. NO one is immune. Sadly, these women do not understand, that because of their innate fear, maybe they couldn't handle it if it happened to them. They don't want to think about it. So, then what do they do? They turn around, and project their own fears, onto these women who are really hurting. Instead of opening their mouths, they would do better to open their wallets, and give a little help to support shelters for domestic violence.

What really surprised me, it wasn't just women with money and good careers. Although, I have to admit their among the worst culprits. They really do believe that keeps them out of the loop. Well, just think about how
 many famous women, and women with money, have experienced this. What is astounding to me, is I thought women of lower economic status, may have a little more compassion for the abused woman. I was hoping they might at least understand that without money, and with overcrowded shelters, these women may not always have a place to go. You would be surprised how fast so called family disappears, when it time to help. Their usually just too afraid, or don't have the economic means to help. The point is, I found that the no matter what economic level they were at, that on a whole, they had disdain for, and lack of empathy for women who are abused. So much for sticking together.

Maybe this shows, as women, we have gone one step forward and two steps back. Regardless, of our personal feelings, I feel it is our duty, and obligation to other women, to help, be empathetic, and support them, in any way possible. Abused, or not. Did you ever stop to think, if all the women in the world stuck together, that the abusive men would finally get the idea, they have to STOP! Let's open our hearts and our minds too ALL women who need us, NO MATTER WHAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment